To report orders, requests and suggestions, we normally use a reporting verb like tell with (object) + to infinitive.
- „Be careful,“ I told him.
- I told him to be careful.
- „Go away,“ he said.
- He told me to go away.
- „Call the first witness,“ said the judge.
- The judge ordered them to call the first witness.
- She told him, „Please wait here till I return.“
- She requested him to wait there till she returned.
- „Stop smoking,“ the doctor said.
- The doctor told me to stop smoking.
- The stranger said to me, „Please help me.”
- The stranger requested me to help him.
- The clerk said to the officer, „Kindly grant me leave for two days.”
- The clerk requested the officer to grant him leave for two days.
- The teacher said to the students, „Work hard.”
- The teacher advised the students to work hard.
- I said to the child, „Do not look down into the well.”
- I warned the child not to look down into the well.
- The doctor said to the patient, „Please come in.”
- The doctor allowed (or asked) the patient to come in.
Requests for objects are reported using the structure ask + for + object.
- She asked, „Can I have an apple?“
- She asked for an apple.
- „Sugar, please,“ she said.
- She asked for sugar.
Other verbs used in this way include: command, order, warn, ask, advise, invite, beg, teach and forbid.
Verbs that can be followed by object + to-infinitive include: advise, ask, beg, command, forbid, instruct, invite, teach, tell and warn.
Suggestions are normally reported with a that-clause. That and should are optional and can be left out.
- „You should consult a doctor,“ she said.
- She suggested that I should consult a doctor.
- She suggested I consult a doctor.
Note that suggest cannot be followed by a to-infinitive. However, it can be followed by an -ing form.
- My mother suggested seeing a dentist.
Other reporting verbs used this way are: insist, recommend, demand, request and propose.
- The dentist said, „I think you should change your toothpaste.“
- The dentist recommended that I should change my toothpaste.